The U.S. Coast Guard resumed its search early Saturday across Bahamian waters for a disabled cargo ship with 33 crewmembers, including 28 Americans, that lost contact during Hurricane Joaquin, which was moving away from the sprawling archipelago
From the AP:
Officials said the crew - 28 Americans and five Poles - earlier reported they had been able to contain the flooding. The Coast Guard said it had covered more than 850 square miles in its search so far.
“We’re going to go and try and save lives. We’re going to push it to the operational limits as far as we can,” Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor said of rescue efforts.
Fedor said there were 20- to 30-foot (up to 9-meter) waves in the area, and that heavy winds could have destroyed the ship’s communications equipment. The ship went missing when Joaquin was a Category 4 storm. The hurricane has since weakened to a Category 3.